The North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board took action in 1998 to publish the names of social workers against whom complaints have been made and substantiated. This action was taken to provide protection to the public.
The Board also publishes and reports certain actions to the Public Protection Database (PPD) and the National Practitioners Data Bank (NPDB) in compliance with Federal Law. The following list represents actions taken by the Board subsequent to the 1998 decision and includes all those individual actions reported to PPD and NPDB.
For information regarding adverse actions taken prior to the above date, or to request a copy of public record information regarding any adverse or disciplinary action, please contact the Board office directly. The following action definitions apply:
- Reprimand – a public rebuke and sanction by the Board for practice misconduct. A reprimand typically is given for less severe offenses and may require specific follow-up actions by the social worker.
- Censure – an act involving severe condemnation and a sanction by the Board for practice misconduct. Censuring is typically for severe offenses and may require specific follow-up actions by the social worker.
- Probation – is a period of time in which a license or certification is subject to specific practice conditions determined by the Board. The individual is permitted to continue practice subject to compliance with the conditions set forth in the order determining the probation status. A violation of the conditions of probation can result in additional disciplinary action taken by the Board.
- Suspension – the withdrawal of privilege to practice for a specific period of time.
- Revocation – the withdrawal of privilege to practice as a certified or licensed social worker in the State of North Carolina.
- Surrender – the voluntary relinquishment of a certification or license by its holder. The surrender of a certification or license shall be accepted only by Consent Order with the Board.
Individuals who have been disciplined but who complied with Board mandates and have had their credentials restored to good standing will be removed from this list. The discipline action remains in their history and the public record information that may be available is revealed through the certification/license search on the website.